Annual Book Sale
The San Luis Obispo Friends of the Library will hold its 38th Annual Book Sale on March 2-4, 2017, at the San Luis Obispo Veterans Memorial Building, 801 Grand Avenue.
Dates and times are as follows:
- Thursday, March 2nd: 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
(Members only, with memberships sold at the door)
- Friday, March 3rd: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 4th: 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
There will be over 15,000 books including the largest number of children’s books in the history of the Sale – Teen and Young Adult books are especially numerous. Once again the audiovisual department will have a large collection of vinyl LPs in addition to DVDs and CDs.
Books will be sold at $1 per inch, and audiovisual items will be $1 each. In addition there will be a large collection of Special Price Books – click to see Bill Cochran’s description of some items from that collection.
In the 37 years of the Sale, over $300,000 has been raised for the Library. Last year, the Friends provided $75,000 to the San Luis City Library for materials, programs and the major renovation expense. In addition to Book Sale income, the Friends have received generous donations and bequests.
In those same 37 years, there have been hundreds of dedicated, cheerful volunteers. This year, two long-time Book Sale leaders died: Jane Batterson and Dottie Connor. They exemplified the dedication and generosity of our volunteers. This year, we will again have over 100 volunteers. Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Paul Murphy at 544-3033.
It is only with the support of the community that the SLO Friends of the Library can continue to support the SLO Library and the SLO community. It is a simple equation, the more we receive, the more we can give. Help us give more !
To help the SLO Friends of the Library you may:
(click either JOIN, DONATE or VOLUNTEER to proceed)
|JOIN||Become a member to receive the membership benefit and to contribute dues to the Friends|
|DONATE||Become a donor through a financial donation|
|VOLUNTEER||Volunteer to help the Friends or work in the Library|
Preserve and enhance library services and materials to meet the diverse and changing needs of the community.
- To provide support to the SLO Library, its community and the SLO community.
- To raise funds and promote gifts, endowments, and bequests.
- To promote and support volunteer services to the SLO library and our programs.
- To raise public awareness of the library’s role in the community.
- To advocate measures that will help preserve and enhance library services and programs.
All Volunteer Organization
There are no paid employees of the SLO Friends of the Library. Therefore, an extremely high percentage of your dues and donations go to the programs and efforts we support.
Our Recent Accomplishments
- Funding for Library Projects – $32,000+ for 2015-2016
- Applied for and received a $16,000 grant for the Library
- Create and maintain a library for the local homeless shelters
- Sponsor the In-School Reading Project
- Sponsor Library’s Children Program
- Provide Reading Kits for Book Clubs – “Book Club in a Box”
- Provide book bags for child card holders
- Sponsored Library Atrium Mural
- And much more . . .
How to help
Can We Do More?
Yes, but only if we have more resources. We can only do more with your help. We can give more to the SLO Library when we have more. We can provide more to the SLO Community
- More money.
- More books, DVDs, magazine, etc.
- More volunteers.
- More minds focusing on how to help.